Saturday, October 6, 2007

Different computer, got it to work

This is my friend Jeran and I on the top of Scrabo Tower. It overlooks Strangford Lough in the backround.



Life is pretty quiet in Dundrum. It’s a town about the size of Inman. It’s been frustrating to me lately that people in our group are complaining about being bored. When ever in our lives are we going to get an opportunity like this to take life so slowly…in Ireland?!! I’ve found it to be so great for having time to think and pray. God’s challenging me to commit my thoughts and longings about being home and w/ friends/family into prayers for them. Because if I really love them, that’s what I should be doing most anyway! The experience has been good even if it’s just for that. But I’m sure I’ll be learning a lot more as well.

We’ll be approaching week six here and that is when they’ve told us that culture shock usually sets in the hardest. So prayers for our group are welcome! It seems as though the honeymoon phase has passed and people are beginning to show more of true selves. Only 15 people being together most of the time has a tendency to do that, I guess. But I think that this is also the time when we can have the most growth. I hope that we can make decisions to grow as a community and not tear each other down. That’s what I’m praying for.

Classes are great. Since we only have each class once a week we get a good chance to think everything through. It’s nice to be able to actually read for content and not just rushed to memorize so I can get everything done. Irish literature is really interesting. I enjoy reading and Derrick Bingham, our professor and published author, has such an inspiring passion about it. Through him we’ll be meeting some big names in Ireland. He has connections with a famous artist here, Ross Wilson, who met with us during our first week here. This next week we’ll go to one of his friend’s house who has an amazing personal irish art collection. He was also a big person in writing about the troubles and he wants to share a little bit with us about reconciliation since and growth of the country since then. I’m really excited about that!

3 comments:

linda said...

Thanks for the update Jill! It sounds like such a great time. I'll be praying for the group and good attitudes in the close living situations. You seem to have such a positive outlook on the group and the trip; they'll all need you to encourage them in that, as well. I love you homie! I can't wait to see you again. Love, Linda.

Sandra F said...

HI Jill! I just got this blog site info from your mom last night so I am excited to be able to hear about your time in Ireland. You are so right to look for the good in the situation - God has such treasures for us if are thankful and open to what new things He wants us to learn and experience. It would be quite wonderful to have extra time on your hands to really dig down deep into your bible and into your studies - I so often feel rushed to hurry and read through my devotions or letters from friends or missionary updates and just pray on the drive to and from where ever I am going today! May the Lord bless you with new relationships when you are feeling lonely for someone from home. He has done that for me when I am missing my children! Isn't God GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a most wonderful day! Love ya, Sandra

Dana and Tonya said...

do not use the word "bored" in ireland. not only does it lead to drug use, it also shows laziness, a lack of creativity, and a lack of thankfulness for your current situation. i'm so proud of you for making the most of every gift God has given. and hope you're missing me so i can get a prayer or two. :)
short b/c of one-handed typing.