Monday, November 26, 2007

Accent!

Last week we read an Irish play in our literature class. Most of it was written as they would say the words. So nearly all of the characters gave a shot at their best irish accents. One thing that I've noticed since being here is that there are about as many different accents as there are towns, so imitating the accent has been difficult. And the read through turned out some really funny pronunciations and changing of accents.

Yesterday I was talking to a couple of my friends from JBU and they wanted my to try my best Irish accent. I realize that I'm miserable, but I gave it a shot and we had a good laugh.

Then last night 3 of us girls decided that we needed to work on our accent because that's what everyone will expect when we're home. Good thinking, since we'll be here for a mere 11 days! We laughed a lot. I don't know if I got any better at my accent, but i may have learned some new irish phrases! Oh, and by the way, we found that the easiest was to practice the Northern Irish Accent is through being extra-dramatic!
(note: both of these incidents happening while I probably should have been working on my papers, oops!)

THEN last I woke up this morning for a dream about accents! I was talking w/ a british man who was imitating accents as well! Weird. I think that when I leave I'll miss hearing a REAL Northern Irish Accent. I guess I'll have to soak it up while I can!

3 comments:

Sara Neufeld said...

Yes, I will definitely expect you to talk ONLY in an Irish accent when you return.

Dana and Tonya said...

the most important words to accomplish are "pam" and "cool"... I'll want to hear those right away.

tonya

Dana and Tonya said...

Mom said she wants to be called "mum" for a while too.